Internment, by Rachel Kador

[Monday, June 8, 2009]

Anyone Who Tells You Otherwise is a Liar

Today I sat in on an editorial review meeting. Steve (via phone) Jeevan, Johanna, David, and I discussed promising--and not so promising--book proposals. It was fascinating to see what considerations weighed most heavily in determining whether or not to go forward with a project. It all comes down to an author's platform. When you write a book you are assuming some level of expertise and authority, and it is BK's prerogative to determine whether that authority is justified.

I got to really understand this first hand after the meeting. Jeevan is back, and that means I am being turned into a one-woman proposal reading machine. Together, Jeevan and I looked through about five incoming book proposals and systematically rejected all of them. I have about six more proposals to review on my own. This is an industry of tough-skinned, persistent people.

I'm starting to learn what to look for in a proposal and, more importantly, in an author. The book may seem like the product, but increasingly, it is the author himself (or herself) whom we are trying to sell. Without a good reputation and an excellent network, it is very unlikely that BK will publish your book.

It's easy to learn why not to publish a book--in the upcoming weeks I hope to learn what exactly does make a book stand out enough to warrant consideration and, eventually, publication. This seems like a much more nuanced question that I think will grant me a look at the heart of BK's mission more than insight into the publishing industry in general, though I anticipate the two to overlap in certain areas. I'll keep you posted.

0 comments:

Post a Comment